Monday, September 22, 2008

obstacles and pain

I recently returned from a weekend filled with mountain biking in North Georgia, in real mountains. OK, not 14,000 ft peaks, but compared to Nashville, Big Mountains! What an adventure, and what pain!

Actually . . . multiple types of pain.

The pain of climbing was intense, it is like your thighs will no longer stay in their skin, your lungs cannot begin to take in enough oxygen to keep your muscles working, and you become incredibly thirsty for water. The pain of falling is very different, it is immediate, crushing and sometimes the true pain from the fall can come much later. The third pain is just the pain of exhaustion, your whole body, and I mean whole body is ready to cry out "uncle"! I experienced all of these pains and all I can say was . . . WOO HOO! That was fun!!

Why do I do it? Why do I look to take on something dangerous, risky, adrenaline filled, and could land me in a local hospital? For me, this is one of the ways I am still asking the very important question - "Do I have what it takes?". It is also where I feel the most alive. Pushing my body to perform and seeing how much it can take.

I feel the need to describe the benefits of mountain biking too. The beauty is spectacular! The first trail we did was a climb of Davenport Mountain. It was 2-3 mile climb and an elevation change of around 800 - 900 ft, to start off. Literally the first .2 of a mile was straight up and I almost lost my lunch. The next .4 of a mile was not much better, and we started to walk because we couldn't climb anymore. Through a combination of riding and walking we finally reached the summit. As we rode the trail on the summit, you could see glimpses of the views from the top, and everything to the right and the left of the trail fell off sharply, so you knew you were on the top. It was spectacular!

The next trail we did that day was a little different. The goal was not to reach a "summit" then descend, it was to descend to the river (Cartecay River) then climb back up. Easier said than done. The downhill sections just before reaching the river were downright treacherous. Some people would have a hard time walking down the trail let alone riding it. Again, the scenery was well worth it. We spent a few minutes on large rocks in the middle of the river just enjoying the rush of the river.

In order for me to experience the beauty I had to endure the pain. Whether we choose the path that we know is difficult and we head straight uphill, or we choose what we think is easier and head downhill there is always a possibility of pain. I will tell you that the biggest bruises I received the whole weekend was on the downhill to the river trail.

In life we can't avoid pain, it is inevitable!

The question is do we try at all costs to avoid it? Do we try to forget, by numbing it or making agreements with ourselves that keep us from doing that again. Like I said in my last blog entry, I learn so much about God when I enter into my story, feel the pain and let Him heal me and redeem me. God fixes broken things!

I can't wait to get back to the mountains!

No comments: