Wednesday, January 27, 2010

proud of me part two

After writing the last blog entry it has been amazing to see how much this saying "are you proud of me?" plays into our lives.

I recently watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and I was blown away. Good movie, I really enjoyed it. I have to admit I laughed out loud in parts and cried in parts. I won't do a movie review here I promise. The point is that the main character Flint Lockwood is so wounded and ties so hard to please everyone, especially his father. After having some success at one of his endeavors he tells his father all about it and then screams at him "Are you proud of me?" The father (who is wounded himself) clearly does not know how to respond and ends up not responding.

Ouch!!

The other memorable moment this week was on "Biggest Loser" the TV show. One of the "couples" are actually cousins and they are very close to their family. One of them mentions that the greatest thing he could hear was "I am proud of you" from his father. I don't really have to say this because as you can guess he was crying we he said it.

Why does this affect us so much?? Why do we need this?

I don't think my previous blog entry uncovered any great revelation, but I think it is a start. We need to spend time with God and ask Him, NOT are you proud of me, but who am I, what is my name, who have you created me to be? Once we understand the answer to the latter questions we get perspective of who we are and we can smile, because we know we have purpose, meaning and fulfillment through Him who created us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.