Friday, August 13, 2010

new roads

I was driving down the interstate the other day on my way to Atlanta, just listening to some tunes and thinking about my big presentation the next day. Just south of Chattanooga there was some new construction going on and it looked like a new strip mall, or subdivision? Anyway, there was a road that was under construction to access the mall/subdivision. That new road really got my attention, and I remember saying out loud:

I like new roads!

Where did that come from? Really? I like new roads?

I spent the rest of the trip really chewing on that and asking the question Why do I like new roads. The thought process was amazing and it took me from childhood to present day and God really taught me some things along the way.

I like new roads because: it reminds me of when I was a kid playing with Hot Wheels cars in the dirt with my friends. I grew up in Florida and we had that "sugar sand", and my friends and I would play for hours building elaborate roadways complete with tunnels and race tracks. We would build the roads, drive our cars on them until the wheels of the cars wouldn't turn anymore, because they were clogged with sand. The next day we would just mess up the sand and build all new ones!

I remember the imagination I once had. I think it is still there, but oh so hard to find!

I like new roads because it is a symbol of a new path, a new adventure. Where will this road lead to? Who will drive on it? There is something intriguing about seeing something evolve and become part of the landscape that wasn't there before. Sometimes these new roads can save us time, and sometimes they can introduce us to things we have never seen or experienced before.

Sometimes old roads can be new roads!

Recently I purchased a new (to me) road bike. It has been a joy to ride! I ride every Sunday morning before church and put on some worship music and ride 20+ miles. It is wonderful worship experience. In order to get more miles in I met up with a group that does rides every Thursday night. I hooked up with the group that was going to ride 24 miles. We took off and within 5 miles we were on roads I have never been on, and didn't know where they went. I have lived here for 10 years and these roads are within 5 miles of my house! We rode on beautiful back roads with very little traffic and it was awesome. Well, they left me after about 17 miles and I had to find my way home. I looked for any familiar sights and finally I recognized where I was and I found my way home.

God calls us onto new roads.

The point is spiritual growth and sanctification. We can't do that by hanging out in the cul de sac! We must venture out in faith and follow where God leads, but we must always keep our eyes on Him. Look for the familiar sights that tell you you are on the right road that leads you home.

New roads can be painful!

When I say "Road Construction" what is the first thing you think of? Frustration? Inconvenience? Anger? I know I do. New road construction can be very disruptive and painful. And it seems like it could be done a lot faster! When you are stuck on the cul de sac of life it is comfortable, not without pain, but comfortable. We know our surroundings and it makes us feel safe. Taking a journey out of the cul de sac onto a new road can be quite frightening, but that is where God wants to take us! Deeper into relationship with Him, learning to trust Him and seeing things you have never seen before. It is an awesome journey and worth the trip.

I like new roads, do you?

No comments: